About the Homestay
THE HOST MR. SAMUEL ODOYO
I am Samuel, a teacher by profession, now 52-years old, I'm a resident of Mfangano Island in Lake Victoria Kenya.
I enjoy meeting people from all around the globe and sharing good times with them.
I'd be very happy if I could be of any help during and even before your stay.
So feel free to ask anything - on getting around Mfangano and sister Islands, learning Local Suba, Luo and Swahili languages, experiencing Suba and Luo cultures and what not.
I’m blessed with a Lovely, patient and a welcoming family, a family with a higher hospitality and integrity to all guests, visiting my home from different corners of the world.
Guests will get full boarding facilities and stay with host families from the local community, based in a tranquil, rural environment
Each guest will have their own bed, but may share a room if belongs to the same gender or if are couples, Different gender stay in different rooms.
Each of the clean and well spread beds, should have a mosquito net.
Volunteers will share meals with host families where they will be served with three meals a day that is breakfast, lunch and supper. Breakfast will be served before the day’s work starts at 8am or not later than 9am with tea, local snacks and fruits. Lunch and supper will be served on time too with a variety of local dishes.
Guests will be provided with 3 meals of interest or on request a day by the host family, or receive a pre packed carry lunch if the project is far from the host family residence or be bought if the Hotels are around.
Food will be prepared by the Hosting family as per the normal daily diet timetable and on the request of the visitor in case he/she is interested in a different meal,
Any guest who comes with his/her budget, all his/her meals will be prepared on his/her order/directives and we will require a meals time table to be prepared in a collaboration of both the guests and the cooks.
We prefer preparing meals with the consent of all the people living in the house/family and considering different interests of different house dwellers including guests.
We serve; Chapati, Mandazi, Tea, farm foods like potatoes, beans, green grams, cassava, maize, bananas, Local vegetables. We also serve beef, Milk, Chicken, several species of fish found in Lake Victoria, Irish potatoes, spaghetti, indomie, chips, sossi, Rice, budgie, Ugali and porridge, and any other food staff palatable to Guests at their orders/requests.
During your stay, your linens will be washed twice a week on agreement, and your room will be swept and arranged regularly.
We have a separate bathroom only for our guests' use, but those who like can do swimming in lake Victoria direct as we are only 200 metres from the lake shore.
With our guests, we enjoy charting, exchanging cultures and sometimes partying or eating out.
I hope all our guests will know more about our cultures and like our Islands the more as they will interact with the locals regularly..
There is free WiFi throughout, that belongs to an NGO, just in a two minutes walking distance, besides that we also have a mobile Wi-Fi to rent out by the day on a first-come, first-served basis. This enables you to get the internet connection everywhere, which solves the inconvenience most foreigners are likely to experience while in Kenya.
There are shops in nearby shopping centres one within a two minute walk, another within 40 minutes walk opened everyday.
We have Mfangano Island market days on Sundays every week at Sena and goods from different places are sold there.
ATM machines are there in all banks in Mbita which is our sub county headquarters you can withdraw your money any time you are in need of.
Monday to Friday for about 3 - 4 hours a day, starting at 9am to 12noon.
There is no limit on staying periods at Sagrema foundation
ARRIVAL AT SAGREMA FOUNDATION IN KENYA
* All Guests/Volunteers can arrive any time of the year either as teams, couples or Individuals
FREE TIME ACTIVITIES
* Guests/Volunteer will be free to use their free time for excursions especially during weekends or selected days other than working days.
* They will be free to spend their free time in a local park, bar or a club for nightlife lovers, attend a social function or any other social places where you will meet other great volunteers in the area, climb the Soklo hills, do sport fishing in Lake Victoria, go round the Islands, meet the Island Women groups, visit our schools, attend church summons on Sundays, meet the traditional storytellers.
* They may also choose to spend a few days or one of their weekends at one of Mfangano sister Islands; Takawiri, Rusinga, Kibougi, Remba, Ringiti or any one of the beautiful inhabited birds islands; Atego, Risi, Mbasa, Namuolo Nyama and Niware.
*they will do swimming direct in fresh waters of lake Victoria, sunbirth and see different birds
* Volunteers interested in these activities except swimming will have to pay extra fees as they involve travel costs.
* All payments Will be done on arrival except for the guest who may like to secure a particular room/rooms of his/her interest
HOW TO REACH MFANGANO ISLAND
The closest airport is Kisumu International Airport
After Landing in Jomo Kenyatta international airport (NBO), our volunteers can either:
1. take another airline to Kisumu International Airport if they had booked before then either take a bus, Nisan or Probox from KIsumu bus stop to Mbita through the shorter root of Lwanda Kotieno or through the longer root of Homa-bay, to be picked by the Host to Mfangano by either Mfangano water bus, Mfangano ferry or Mfangano Engine boats all landing at Sena in Mfangano Island.
2. book any of these buses direct from Nairobi to Mbita and choose either to travel night time or day time depending on their arrival time in Kenya. - (Easy coach, Ena coach, Transline or The Guardian) then be picked by the Host to Mfangano by either Mfangano water bus, Mfangano ferry or Mfangano Engine boats all landing at Sena in Mfangano Island.
3. book another airline from Wilson airport in Nairobi Kenya to Homa-bay air sptrip Kabunde then take either a bus, Nisan or Probox from Homa-bay town to Mbita town to be picked by the Host for onward movement to Mfangano by either Mfangano water bus, Mfangano ferry or Mfangano Engine boats all landing at Sena in Mfangano Island.
- Internet Access
- Non Smoking
- Allow Smoking
Bedrooms available for booking
About the Area
Our Home is located in wakinga sub location, Mfangano East location, Mfangano Island in lake Victoria Kenya, it is six kilometers from Sena shopping centre which is also the gate way to Mfangano Island, only four hundred metres from the lake show and adjacent to Mfangano ring road.
Means of transportation is available at the gate any time you need one
It has an open raised space with nice and cool pollution free winds with a good view to the lake Victoria and so many trees for shades the breezes are enjoyable at every shade you choose to rest in.
Local Area Facilities
- Shopping Centre
- Water sports
Hosts can offer a complimentary light breakfast at their discretion. All other meals, including a full breakfast, might incur an additional cost, if offered. Meals and any additional payment should be arranged directly with your host.
Included in the stay
- Complimentary Light Breakfast
- Use of Kitchen
Available on request at an extra cost
- Full Breakfast
- Half Board
- Full Board
- Packed lunch
Diet Type available on request
- Lactose Intolerant
- Nut Allergies
1. All guests will get the desired meals by order/on request.
2. Meals ordering must be done earlier enough to enable earlier preparation.
Smoking is allowed indoors and outdoors.
How do I book?
Contact the host to check their availability and ask them any questions you have about staying with them. Once the host confirms they’re available for your dates, you can complete your booking.
When do I pay?
Once a host confirms they're available, you can go ahead and pay the 15% booking fee (maximum of 199 $£€ for longer term bookings) using a choice of payment methods: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Maestro, Laser, JCB & PayPal (not available in certain countries). You then pay your host on arrival or as stated by your host on their profile and agreed by you on booking. Please be cautious if a host requests advance payment if its not included on their profile. Our hosts have been advised that if they wish to request advance payment they must make this explicit in their profile. We do not recommend the use of Money gram or Western Union.
When can I share my contact details?
Host and Guest email address, phone number and home address will be exchanged in a confirmation email sent to both immediately after a booking is completed. It's against our policy for Guests and Hosts to exchange direct contact details via our messaging system.